senior cuz

I am an unrequited entertainer. Since about eighth grade I've been a singer. I probably would have loved to have starred on Broadway in stage musicals.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fifty Four years ago

For those who did not know me when I was growing up, here is what I looked like when I first joined the Navy in 1952. This was taken while I was at Boot Camp at the Great Lakes Naval training Station, north of Chicago. If I look rathjer dark skinned, it was because I had spent a solid month on Miller Beach immediately after high school graduation. The steel mills were on strike and no one was hiring in Gary. I was working part time as an assistant manager of the Ridge Theater. I decided that since I was living alone because both of my adoptive parents were dead, I would join the Navy and see the world, which by the way, I did by sailing around the world on board the USS Wasp, CVA-18. The young man in the picture with me is the cousin of Gordon Mc Rae the famous movie star singer. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Tomas Dennis said…

    Great photo. I was in the Navy about 10 years later in 1959. USS Frontier AD 25 and the USS Halsey Powell DD 686.

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said…

    I spent my summers at Miller Beach also. Graduated HS in 1960. So, we probably saw each other at the beach but didn't know who each other was.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger senior cuz said…

    Could be motherkitty, used to peddle my bike out to Wicker Park, and Dianne & Elsie said they spent a lot of time there. We thought how strange it would have been if we'd met, unknowingly that we were brother and sisters and if we'd developed a thing for each other.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Abandoned in Pasadena said…

    Great photo. I wasn't in the navy or anywhere near Miller Beach. That sure would have been a little dicey if you had met Dianne & Elcie and gotten a thing for one of them. What if you had married one? Oops.

    Are they related to you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home