senior cuz

I am an unrequited entertainer. Since about eighth grade I've been a singer. I probably would have loved to have starred on Broadway in stage musicals.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Sunrise over Phoenix

Sometimes I not only take sunsets, but I get up early eneough to capture a sunrise. This morning, 10/13/06, I went out to get my morning paper and I saw this amazing sunrise. Note the orange blurry area at the center of the pix. That is an actual shower, that dosn't reach the ground. The weather terminology for this is "verga". Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said…

    I've never heard of "verga", but I like to learn something new every day. Beautiful picture. We sometimes have beautiful sunsets and sunrises here also. Wish you could come see them with us.

     
  • At 2:44 AM, Blogger senior cuz said…

    The air here is so dry, that when the dew point falls below 55 degrees, and it tries to rain, the rain does not reach the ground. It evaporates that quickly. That is called verga. I'm sure that you've seen showers in the distance, and you can see the rain as it falls all the way to the ground. What made this picture so unique was the fact that I caught it at sunrise. It is not that uncommon to see the verga during the day as just what I call and unfinnished shower.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Abandoned in Pasadena said…

    I heard about a verga from the weatherman, but I've never photographed one. The rain usually reaches the ground here where we live.

    Very beautiful sunrise.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said…

    Great shot, John. I've never heard of a verga either. How're you doing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home