senior cuz

I am an unrequited entertainer. Since about eighth grade I've been a singer. I probably would have loved to have starred on Broadway in stage musicals.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Jerome, Az.


Today, Ada and I took a wrong turn ( I didn't follow direction well! ) and ended up and I mean up-, in the old mining town of Jerome, Az. This town clings to the side of the mountain where they used to mine a century ago. Each street in the town is one story higher or lower than it's neighboring street. Note the white house, you're lookin at it's back side. At street level it appears to be a one story house. You'd swear that building a two story house down would bring worries of sliding off the mountain. You really need to see this amazing place. When the mine petered out the town nearly died and there are some old abandoned homes and businesses but the town has now become a tourist haven with loads of shops and restaurants that are in the hundred year old buildings. The hotel is haunted but booked solid. Looking down this street past the red brick building which actually houses the town's fire station, is a dirt road that leads to the old mine. Oh, by the way, the town is at about a mile high elevation. It sits 3,000' up the side of the mountain. If you don't like narrow, steeeeeeeeeeep highways, you'll probably never visit this remarkable treasure.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Abandoned in Pasadena said…

    I like that fire station in the picture.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Alipurr said…

    sounds like a fun excursion, my husband and i always liked road trips and didn't mind wrong turns

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said…

    I visited Jerome years ago and bought some wonderful jewelry there. It was made by a skilled native American craftsman. I hope to go back there again some day. I hope it was as nice as I remember it. It was very picturesque.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger barb michelen said…

    Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

     

Post a Comment

<< Home